The kitchen island project is still ongoing, and since there's no sense in sitting around while I watch the paint on it dry, I've started another project - window sill fabrication and installation - during the kitchen island paint dry time (and there's a LOT of dry time required). The sills I'm making are strictly decorative and are going on new construction so it shouldn't be a huge deal to install them (although with the particular GC involved...who knows, it could be a nightmare), and the fabrication is pretty straightforward, but they need to be a very, very close approximation of the sills on the house the new construction was added on to.
And that house as built in 1858.
The sills on those windows appear to be original to the house; a bajillion layers of paint made it tough to get precise measurements, but I think I came pretty close.
I'm making the new sills out of Douglas fir, which is most likely what the original sills are made from, and Douglas fir is a pretty enjoyable species of wood to work with. It's considered a softwood, but of the softwoods commonly available, Douglas fir is one of the strongest, heaviest and hardest species. In short, it's easy on the tools, but plenty solid.
Anyhow...I've got a couple sills cut and primed, and all the window sill corbels I need (11) made and ready to go. I still need to fabricate the trim that'll go on the sills, and there's another three sills I need to build (both the sills and corbels required glue-ups, and I only have so many clamps), but I'm off to a good start.
The corbels were easily the most time-consuming activity:
I'll post a few pics of the finished product once I get these things installed...