Sometimes the slow weeks are good for making the website pretty, getting the Etsy store looking good and dealing with all the administrative stuff that comes with self-employment. Conversely, being crazy busy and on tight schedules means I don't often stop to take a lot of pics and I get all kinds of behind on paperwork, emails, etc. Fortunately for me, and unfortunately for the readers of this blog...we've been stupid busy lately, and pics of finished products are few and far between.
Several weeks ago we had a client that had torn out a pocket door wall and needed the drywall patched. Normally the old house gods frown upon that sort of thing - tearing out pocket doors - but the clients have plans for the original pocket door, so it's kind of a wash. Regardless, the seemingly minor project took forever because it was about 17 degrees outside and the uninsulated walls of the old house made it tough to get joint compound - 20 minute mud at that - dry with any kind of quickness. We also had to patch the wood floor, which was miserable because the existing hardwood had been refinished, and not in a real uniform fashion, so each new piece of hardwood we put down had to be custom planed.
This is the before pic. There isn't an after pic, for the reasons mentioned previously. But...if you can imagine additional framing, drywall and a silky smooth drywall finish, that's what the end result looked like.
During a let-the-mud-dry day on that project, we visited our buddies over at HDA Architects, whose office just wrapped up a massive renovation. We discussed some potential future custom furniture work, and hung a bunch of artwork and architectural paraphernalia on the walls. Normally hanging pictures on a wall doesn't fall in our wheelhouse, but when the artwork is bigger than the people installing it, and there's like 14 pictures to hang...it's a bit of a project.
Following that, it was on to some commercial work. We occasionally do work for a group that owns 6 bars/restaurants around the STL area, and we spent a full week between The Corner Pub & Grill and The Tavern, doing a wide variety of projects. At The Corner, the work involved regrouting the kitchen floor, drywall repair, shelf construction and rebuilding a portion of the area behind the bar. At The Corner, we were one of many trades/subs involved in the work, and at times space to work in was scarce. That said, everybody worked together and the bar was ready to open by the originally scheduled date. Again, there weren't a lot of pics taken; we were working 10+ hour days and doing everything we could to stay on schedule.
At The Tavern, we went back and closed up the wall where we installed some sliding doors a few weeks ago. Adding the doors to a previously open doorway didn't solve the noise issue, so we went back and closed up wall above the door. We also outfitted their new catering van with a wood floor and shelving, allowing them to safely transport a pretty solid amount of food to wherever they need to go.
In the down time, when there was some available down time, I spent a few hours in the shop banging out a few small projects for some clients. I recently purchased a boat load of reclaimed barn wood for a large project, and while I didn't need all that I bought, I had to buy enough to make the drive out into the country worth the trip. And at the price I got (next to nothing), I figured I'd load up.
Next week we're going to start a pretty killer custom woodwork installation, and I'll do a much better job of getting some pics of that project...