Every now and then we're lucky enough to get our hands on a project where the client gives us a very basic outline - a size or a shape - and then lets us fill in all the blanks. This project was one of those, and our very impartial opinion is that it turned out pretty well.
The client wanted to use reclaimed wood to create not only a bed skirt, but a headboard as well. Granted, this is not your typical headboard: it starts on the headboard wall below the mattress, runs clear up the wall and then all the way across the ceiling to the end of the bed. He gave us those parameters and the rest was up to us.
We started with a simple 2x3 frame around the bed for the skirt, although in a room with wavy plaster walls, sloping floors and a corner that was less than square, getting the frame level, plumb and solid - without putting any holes in the floor - wasn't as simple as the end result looks.
With the frame solidly in place, and with me wanting to see how easy this reclaimed wood was going to be to work with, we went ahead and banged out the reclaimed wood skirt...but not before it snowed and I had to move the cutting operation indoors, which made working in an already cramped space that much more difficult.
With the skirt skinned we moved on to the headboard, and that's when the real fun began; sticking 18" tall boards side by side is one thing - any curve or bow in the wood, which creates a little gap between the boards isn't real noticeable in boards of that length - but sticking 4', 5', 6', etc. boards side by side...the gaps became noticeable. I had to get out the #4 bench plane, and we got reacquainted with each other over the next couple days. I didn't have to plane every board, but every 2 or 3 boards I'd have to use the plane to straighten things out. In hindsight, it doesn't seem like there was that much planing required, but the nasty plane blister scab/scar on my left hand proves otherwise.
Regardless, we went up the wall pretty quickly, and across the ceiling as well.
The last step was adding the skirt "cap".
The reclaimed wood we were using was milled by the supplier, so when it got to us, the wood only had the reclaimed look on 1 of 6 surfaces, meaning the edge of every board was just plain ol' wood. I didn't want to have any exposed plain ol' wood on the cap, so we went ahead and put the table saw to good use, mitering the edges of the cap boards so we could "fold" the boards at 90-degree angles, lengthwise, and hide the milled edges.
Anyways...the whole thing turned out pretty well.