We got the pallet wood shelf completed very, very early Thursday morning. Like, stupid early Thursday morning. It turned out pretty well, although I could have done with discovering a couple nails that had decided to - unbeknown to me on Wednesday when I shot them - poke through boards they weren't supposed to poke through. It was an easy enough repair...but not something anybody wants to have to do at the absolute last minute.
As as soon as we wrapped up the work for GetSomeGreek, we bounced over to Urban Matter to start a series of custom projects, the first of which is constructing a cabinet over 10' tall and 6' wide using. Normally, cabinet construction isn't super complicated, but when you're dealing with something where each piece requires at least 2 people to run it through saws, carry it, assemble things...it becomes a pretty slow process. Once we're done with the big cabinet, the subsequent work will involve more cabinets, some window replacement, a backsplash of some sort, a custom counter top and probably a few surprises (it's a really, really old building).
Today I got out the welder and tried knocking out 2 different coffee table frame projects.
I didn't even come close to accomplishing that goal.
But I learned a couple lessons.
The first lesson is that when you burn a hole through a piece of metal while welding, it really sucks, and patching the hole back up sucks even more. The moral of this story is that you definitely, definitely, definitely don't want to burn holes through anything. They're fixable, but sometimes the repair work takes a ridiculous amount of time; patching up big holes requires a series of small tack welds - one next to or on top of the other - because trying a full blown weld, or applying heat for any prolonged period of time just burns the hole even bigger.
The second lesson, which wasn't so much a lesson as the verification of what I've known since I started welding, is that having a good setup for welding leads to exponentially better welds. When I got started, I did the best I could with what I had to work with, which meant using a wheelbarrow as a welding table. Nothing about that was sturdy (or intelligent), it was tough to hold the pieces of metal in place, there wasn't anything to clamp anything to and as a result, I had to basically freehand the welds (using 1 hand instead of 2), and while the end results were fine, it took a really long time to achieve them. I still don't have a great setup, but now that I at least have a table to weld on and understand that a few minutes spent figuring out a way - ANY way - to clamp things together is well worth the time spent doing so, the welding goes soooooo much faster and requires waaaaaaay less cleanup with a grinder or flap disk.
Hopefully I'll have some pics of the welded frames tomorrow. If not...you can safely assume that I either reverted to welding on a wheelbarrow or burnt the garage to the ground.