More demo today. We finished removing the deck boards on the 2nd floor deck, and the we tore out the finished ceiling/drain system underneath said 2nd floor deck. And to nobody's surprise, it was a ridiculous sight.
The deck-to-house connection, that's been taking in water (the house portion of the equation, which isn't good) and is the reason everything's being replaced. It's hard to pinpoint exactly what failed, because what we've discovered is layer upon layer of half-assed work. We've discovered multiple layers of foil-thin flashing, none of which appears to have been installed very well. There was no housewrap/vapor barrier between the siding and sheathing, also a no-no. There was duct tape (seriously). And there was a LOT of caulk.
Oh, and the deck boards had been replaced at some point, so there was a million holes in the flashing from the screws that held the original set of deck boards in place. This probably didn't help the water shedding problems.
But the big winner of the day was the "waterproofing" of the ceiling fan electric. In all fairness, there was a piece of flashing sort of fastened over the whole setup, but still...if and when you see this much caulk used, on anything, ever...there's a fantastic chance somebody didn't do something the way it probably should be done: