Part of the big reclaimed wood project was the bed skirt and headboard. Part of the big reclaimed wood project was the tv cabinet.
And part of the big reclaimed wood project was using the remaining reclaimed wood to add some character to a sunroom on the back of the house. The client requested reclaimed wood window sills, valances, baseboards and door casing. If any lumber was left after that, it was requested that we build some kind of gate to keep the client's small dog confined to the sunroom when needed (we also had to paint the entire room, but there's nothing exciting about talking about paint).
Cutting and installing the window sills was no big deal. The valances took a little effort, but only because we were dealing with relatively small pieces of lumber and sometimes gluing/nailing small, somewhat fragile pieces of material together can be an exercise in futility.
Know what wasn't a lot of fun to deal with? The baseboards. Baseboards should be pretty simple, but in this instance...they were painful.
Because whoever did the framing and drywalling of this sunroom didn't care much about the quality of their work. Everything about the room was wavy, which is relatively inexcusable when talking about newer construction.
When dealing with wavy walls and bendy, MDF baseboard, with enough nails sometimes it's possible to get the baseboard to conform to the contours of the wall, and provided everything is going to be painted, caulk can be used to fill in any small gaps. But when dealing with real wood baseboards, and baseboards that won't be receiving any paint, the baseboards don't have a lot of bendability, caulk is a no-go and the fewer nail holes the better.
Making things more complicated, the existing baseboards were 5-1/4" tall, and the widest reclaimed boards I had were 4". When I removed the existing baseboards, even with a silly amount of effort and care, the drywall got pretty messed up due to 19 tubes of caulk that had to be used to hide the walls' waviness. And after removing the quarter round, I realized that whoever installed the tile floor, they'd stopped the tile a solid inch away from the wall - again, why?? - so new baseboards alone wouldn't cover the edge of the tile.
Long story short, what I thought would be a pretty straightforward job of nailing a 4" strip of reclaimed wood around the base of the room turned into having to custom build, on-site, 3-piece baseboards to ran high enough up the wall to cover the drywall/caulk scars, and covered enough floor area to hide the edges of the tile. All because the crew before us half-assed their work.
The baseboards didn't turn out to be real fancy, but doing anything fancy (or, round) would have removed the reclaimed wood character so that wasn't really an option. And it's hard to tell form the pic, but the top piece sits at a bit of an angle and has a small channel (a rabbet) cut out of it to allow it to fit on top of and cover the main 4" piece below it. The baseboard project was definitely a situation where we simply had to do the best we could with what we had to work with and while nothing about it was ideal, I think we accomplished the goal of getting reclaimed wood baseboards around the room AND covered the remnants of the previous baseboard installation.
Fortunately, we had enough wood leftover - not by much - to build the dog gate. This was another job where winging it was the way to go, and for something quick and dirty, I think it turned out pretty well. She's fully removable and plenty sturdy enough that little Rocky won't be able to crash through it when he's feeling feisty.