Want an update on the CWE project? Well, it's not very far along. We've had some rain, a holiday, silly warm temperatures, a fiasco of existing construction to sort through and definitely not as many hands on deck as I wish we had...but we're making progress. Somehow, we're making progress.
There's a bajillion little details that have gone into getting from this:
It's been a fun project so far, but by the end of every day it looks like everybody on site just fell in a lake. Getting some of that material - 2x8s, 2x12s, etc. - 10+ feet off the ground, into place and fastened...it's a bit of a workout.
We started getting roof rafters on the first floor deck today, as well as replacing the second floor deck joists. The first floor deck is staying mostly as-is, not counting having to raise the middle of the band board by a full 2" to bring the thing back to level, and "shimming" it...with a 4x4 (which covered the 2" we had to jack the thing up plus the height of the brick the band board had been sitting on previously, and bridged the splice in the existing double 2x12 beam).
The original plan was to leave the second floor deck framing in place, but after tearing off the deck boards and seeing the cacophony of failure that was the existing framing (rotten 2x12 joists, 24" on center, 18+ foot span and with a hodgepodge of ancillary framing in between each joist bay), we decided to replace the joists. Unfortunately, that means getting really long, really heavy 2x12 boards 10' up in the air, and the ladders we're using...not the safest of options.
If it doesn't rain too much between now and the weekend we should be able to get this thing lookin' like somethin' halfway decent before too long. That's goal #1. Avoiding some sort of heat stroke in the process is goal #2.