What a couple of weeks...today was our last day of work at Namaste/Sol, where we were handling a few last minute details before the businesses officially open tomorrow. But the main reason we were there in the first place, starting 18 days ago, was to build 3 custom, ADA-compliant showers.
This wasn't an easy series of projects. There were complications with the shower drains, with the tile underlayment, with the ADA regulations and the very real constraints of the existing structure, and as is almost always the case, with other trades, and them getting in our way, and us getting in theirs.
But we worked hard, overcame the challenges, and the showers turned out really well. We got the drains figured out, we built the custom shower pans, we waterproofed them, we hung the backerboard, we set the tile and we grouted...and grouted...and grouted. I wasn't sure how I'd like it, but the dark wall tile (it's got the texture and look of wood) in the men's shower looks pretty cool. It's different, for sure, and the pattern - random joints - chosen by the client adds to the illusion of the shower being lined with wood.