Man...we've been busy, which is why I've gotten a little lazy with updating anything on here. As a member of the crew handling the bulk of the carpentry responsibilities, we not only have our own set of responsibilities - setting all the kitchen cabinets, setting all the bathroom vanities, hanging all the interior doors, installing all the door hardware, installing all the (3-piece) baseboards, repairing every single window in the front and sides of the building, etc. - we also have to step in when there's carpentry work the in-house carpenters can't get to, which means we've also had to do some miscellaneous framing, we've had to build some dummy walls for permitting reasons and of course...we've had to handle the dreaded punch list.
Now, the deadline is quickly approaching, there's 10+ subcontractors on site, everybody's fighting for real estate, everybody's fighting to get their scope of work finished (sometimes at the expense of some other trade or sub), everybody's putting in insane hours, and it's really kind of chaotic. Sometimes it's a good chaotic, and sometimes the chaos can be a little frustrating. Regardless, as a guy with an educational background and corporate experience in both city planning (see: land redevelopment, historic preservation, etc.) and civil engineering (see: construction management), this has been one of the cooler projects I've ever been a part of. Getting to help give new life to a building constructed in 1906, and that has sat vacant in the middle of an otherwise relatively vibrant neighborhood for something like 10 years? Right up my alley.
With only a couple weeks before it all has to be done, I think we're in good shape...but it's going to be a hectic couple of weeks. That said, I don't have a lot of pics of the job, partially because I got involved pretty late in the game and partially because with how much work there is to do...taking a few minutes to document the work sometimes slips my mind. But I'll share what I have, and hopefully do a better job with pics on the next one (we're in the running for another school/loft conversion with the same developer, this time with a school in the Shaw neighborhood).
Started work on the first floor yesterday while the third floor gets punchlisted and the second floor gets ready for punchlisting. Getting the thing completed in the next month might be a little unrealistic, but we'll keep our nose to the grindstone and get after it one nail at a time...