I'm still not done building the plywood frame...but it's close, and the full sheets of plywood that were on site...no more. So...the end (of the plywood portion of the work) is near.
Aside from the cord on my router causing a few headaches - it must have a break in the wires, 'cause it only seems to work now if I hold the cord in a certain position and at a certain angle - building the corner cabinet was definitely a bit of a wrestling match. Corner cabinets are always a little tricky, site-building things can sometimes be a little tricky, and building big anything can sometimes be a little tricky, so I knew it was going to take a day or two to get the cabinet banged out. But she's done, and level, and with a double layer of 3/4" birch plywood for the top, crazy amounts of solid.
Anyhow...the corner cabinet carcass is done, and one (of two) sets of shelving above the cabinet is done as well. One more set of shelves, and I'll finally be able to get started on the face frames. The face frames should dress things up quite a bit, as should the two window seats I still need to build, but overall, I'm pretty pleased with how things have gone together.
Today I went ahead and permanently installed the small set of above-the-cabinet shelves I built, just to get a feel for how permanent installation is going to go. Right now, none of the other already-built shelves are locked in place; there really isn't much holding anything together other than good-fitting dados and a couple strategically-placed trim screws. Adding a little glue and a few finish nails, as I did today, makes these things rock solid, which is obviously a good thing. With any luck, tomorrow I'll be able to get everything else locked in placed for good, and move on to slicing and dicing a pretty healthy stack of 16' long poplar boards earmarked for the face frames.
I'll dress this all up with the face frame and assorted trim pieces when the entire carcass is built; for now, I'm going to keep working right to left and start on the cabinet that'll go between the window barely visible in the pic and the corner (and then continuing along the adjoining wall). Another couple days and this thing is going to start looking like something more than a whole lot of plywood.
Pics of the recent shower rebuild are going to have to wait; I had to scramble just to get the shower to where it was usable - the client had company coming in town and I had to disappear for the duration of the visit - and there was literally zero time for pictures. So...final pics will have to wait for a bit.
After the shower project, I had to deal with jury duty for a few days and almost a week ago, I got started on another project, a pretty healthy set of built-in bookshelves and cabinets. I don't remember the exact dimensions off the top of my head, but they run about 26 linear feet, go floor to ceiling, and contain a mixture of adjustable shelves, fixed shelves and a corner cabinet. The whole system also has to dance around a couple existing windows.
As is usually the case, nothing in the room is square, straight, level or plumb, although this room seems to be unusually out of whack. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter if a floor is 1/8" out of level or 1-1/8" out of level - unlevel is unlevel - but with the room being as wonky as it is in all directions, there is a LOT of custom cutting (ie, cutting curvy lines in long sheets of plywood with a table saw) that has to be done to make sure the built-ins both hug the walls, and stay parallel with and square to the only straight lines in the room: the flooring.
It's been slow-going so far, but that's the nature of the beast when dealing with custom work and built-ins. Taking the time to build a base that's solid, level, square, etc., and in line with whatever it needs to be in line with, will make the subsequent work not quite the wrestling match it'd be if one were to just start slapping things together and hoping for the best.
The job is far from being done, but it's about to the stage where I ought to be able to start plowing through the work at a pretty decent clip. I figured I'd share a few pics of the work so far; like I said, it doesn't look like much, but it's getting there. And, the project is so big I literally can't get the whole thing in a single, non-panoramic pic, so you'll have to excuse the sketchiness of some of the shots. :)