It's been a while since I wrote anything here. Some of that is related to being crazy busy with work, and some of that is related to being crazy busy with life events. The life events, without a doubt, took precedence over any kind of work and for the past couple weeks it's been a total scramble to try and get caught up on the work stuff.
Anyhow...where was I with the last post, the arched window trim? So far, 3 of the 5 are installed. The installation is pretty straightforward; trace the outline of the window trim on the wall, cut away all the siding inside the traced line, lay down some construction adhesive, put the trim in place, drive some 4" screws through the main block of the trim into the studs in the wall, beat some wood plugs into the holes where the screws are, and caulk any gaps.
The only real challenge is in lugging the trim up the ladder and holding it in place while the screws are driven, because the big chunk of trim, it's not real light or easy to maneuver with one hand. Otherwise, it's pretty simple.
This is the trim on the original house, and the things I needed to replicate. Mine look a little different in that the client opted to forego the casing, but outside of that, I think the ones I built are pretty dang close.
This is a before and after shot of the installation. I still need to go back and clean up the wood plugs - pare them flush with the wood surrounding them, spackle any little tear out spots - and add the little side trim pieces, but for all the worrying I did about how well these things would hug the windows...as it turns out, I was all worked up (and I really was sort of nervous) over nothin'.
I'll get the last 2 installed tomorrow, wrap this job up and move on to the next project...a lofted bed build. I'm pretty excited to not have to bend any more wood for a while. :)